Weather in UB

Sunday, August 26, 2007

Saina baina uu?

I decided to start this blog to document my time living and conducting research in Mongolia. I'm a graduate student looking at Mongolian teachers perceptions of disability in the classroom. My love of Mongolia started when I was in Peace Corps in eastern Mongolia (Choibalsan xot) from 2003-2005. So I'm back here, re-learning the language and culture, and marveling over how much has changed; BMW's now share the road with the odd horse n' cart, buildings are popping up everywhere (Hilton), and you can now find spinach in the market (this is a VERY recent addition). Things in the countryside seem to stay about the same. Officially the government acknowledges about 700,000 people living in UB, however, other estimates range from 1 to 1.5 million. As more people move here from the countryside this puts tremendous pressure on social services. As part of my research I will be out in different provincial centers. I will be sure to post pictures, and comment on what I see.

2 comments:

Meg said...

Annie - cool to see you've started a blog! Looking forward to hearing about your strange and wonderful adventures in Mongolia. And, Andrew and I can't wait to visit in frigid February - Love, Meg

Rosemary said...

Annie,

I loved learning all about MOngolian weddings and your plans for this year. You are an inspiration to us all.

You are teaching me new things as this is my first blog!
Love,
Aunt Rosemary