Weather in UB

Friday, November 23, 2007

Gobbled

Delicious, home-cooked Thanksgiving dinner (Photo credits: S. Munson)
Being in UB has it's perks. For example, I got to eat green vegetables, go to combat class, and celebrate Thanksgiving with my friends! I hadn't planned on being in UB this week, but the flights were all booked up so I have to wait until December to finsh my research in the countryside. Currently there is only one airline flying domestically and the planes seat about 40 people. I'm not a glutton for punishment so I mentally said "no" to the possibility of taking a 3 days car ride (that might turn into 6 days if you factor in breakdowns and flat tires) to Hovd.
Yesterday my friends and I threw together a pretty good thanksgiving. My friend S and I went grocery shopping and found sweet potatoes, which are called "chikerte tomc" or potatoes with sugar in Mongolian. We even managed to find one can of cream of mushroom soup! This was a huge find because it was surrounded by 40 cans of chicken noodle soup and we didn't think we'd be able to find it anywhere. S and I cooked all day. We ended up with: mashed potatoes, biscuits, green bean casserole, sweet potato casserole, stuffing, biscotti, and apple crisp, all made from scratch. The boys brought fried chicken (closest you can get to turkey) from BBQ chicken (A Korean fast food chicken joint). One person brought Chinese chicken in a bag. Which has to be the most disgusting thing I've ever seen. It's literally a whole chicken, cooked and vacuum packed into a bag. When you take it out it's all slimy and you can seen the head. Minus turkey and pumpkin pie, it was still a great time, celebrated with good friends.
SICK-Chicken in a bag

SICKER-Chicken outta the bag

No comments: